• Create Account

New in-depth technical article on terrain editor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Giliam   Members   -  Reputation: 162

2Likes

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Scape is a non-commercial terrain editor I've developed as part of my thesis work in 2008. I've started writing about a few month back, and just posted a new article on its brush-based editing pipeline that's used to edit heightfields procedurally using brush strokes as input. Some of these brushes are implemented on the CPU, while others use the GPU to do the heavy lifiting.

As the series covers quite a lot of interesting technical graphics details and includes a number of working open-source procedural noise code snippets, I though I'd share it here as an hopefully useful source of inspiration and reference to others.

The latest article:
http://www.decarpent...-brush-pipeline

Regards,
Giliam
www.decarpentier.nl - developer blog | @decarpentier_nl - twitter

Sponsor:

#2 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1477

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

This looks really neat, I'll have to go over it later.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

#3 Giliam   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Thanks! To get an idea of what it's capable of, you could have a look at the demo clip as well (recorded from a machine that's now already 5-6 years old):

www.decarpentier.nl - developer blog | @decarpentier_nl - twitter

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS