• Create Account

Getting Started

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadowstep00   Members   -  Reputation: 461

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hello this is my first post on this forum (just registered).

I am 17 years old and i want to seriously work as a game programmer or game designer.

1. First thing i would like to ask you is what would be the best programming language for me to learn first?
(I have in mind how programming works..i had started Pascal and C++ without problem but nothing too serious cause i had to study for school).
I know that C++ is the language used for creating games in pc,concoles. But many people say that it is not appropriate for a begginer language.
With that being said, i probably should start learning another language first and then go to C++, which language do you recommend me? (I am thinking about starting with C#.)

2. Because i live in Greece and here game development does not exist i cant join any game company. So i will have to create a game on my own to break in the game industry. I am thinking about creating a JRPG style game (2d game) in RPG Maker after i learn programming first. Is there a better RPG engine than RPG Maker?

I want when i will be around 19-20 years old to start creating the game and have all the required knowledge to make the game. I have already start creating the concept and the story.

I know i am a bit hasty but the situation in Greece right now makes us to plan for the future from now...
Sorry if i have any grammar,spelling errors. English is not my native language. Thanks in advance! Posted Image

Failure is not an option...

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8667

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

2. Because i live in Greece and here game development does not exist i cant join any game company.

That's not true. Check gamedevmap and gameindustrymap. There are game companies in Greece. But yes, you can't join them, because you aren't ready yet.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 shadowstep00   Members   -  Reputation: 461

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well now that i see there are some companies out there Posted Image . I only knew about Aventurine. But most of these companies make small facebook/broswer games which really do not represent me. Posted Image

#4 pulpfist   Members   -  Reputation: 528

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Aventurine is making a pretty ground breaking MMO these days =)

1. Python, Java and C# is commonly sugested as good beginner languages.
For the Windows platform I would probably suggest C# over the others.

2. There is a _lot_ of game engines out there. I would say you should worry about that later.
If you learn C#, Unity would be a good example of an interesting engine for a low budget. But again, there is hundreds of them.

BTW. Greece will always be the number one european target for tourism, thats probably why germany want's a piece of it

Edited by pulpfist, 20 May 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#5 shadowstep00   Members   -  Reputation: 461

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Any suggestions for a good C# begginner book? i have been thinking about this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449380344/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1N0KNYNW5YZNFFF3Y4QH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Greece is getting worse every day.... Posted Image

#6 mrjfalk   Members   -  Reputation: 133

1Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

As others said C# is a quite easy language to get started with. And once you get a hold of one learning another will be much easier. I haven't read any books while learning C# so I can't recommend any. If you wanna learn C# I would recommend: http://msdn.microsof...studio/hh341490 it is up to date and there are very much content and in my opinion easy to follow.

Edited by mrjfalk, 22 May 2012 - 01:08 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS