• Create Account

Stat balacing for a RPG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 weka   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm doing a simple 2D Tile (Turn-based) RPG in HTML/JavaScript and I've looked into GURPS for stat balancing, among others. My game will not have anything Magic-related. No spells. No mana. I'm just too lazy to add that in. Oh well. Here's what I have so far, probably really bad for game balancing:

1. Base level

Gain EXP through fighting.

== MAIN ATTRIBUTES ==

• Strength (Aka Attack): How hard you can hit.

• Endurance: Increases Defense and Max HP.

• Luck: Influences the ability to get better rewards from monsters and games.

• Dexterity: How often you hit and evade a monster.

Secondary Traits

The things in parenthesis are what's added and taken into account to make up the number. Haven't done the formula... yet.

Damage (Strength, Weapon attack, Monster's defense, Combat level)

Aim (Dexterity, Weapon aim, Combat level)

Evasion (Dexterity, Armor evasion, Monster's attack, Combat level)

Defense (Endurance, Armor defense, Combat level)

Does this all seem right to you? Am I missing anything big for a common RPG? How should I improve this?

Sponsor:

#2 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2459

1Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

• You are departing from GURPS in major ways (removing Intelligence and altering combat rules are the most obvious): it isn't necessarily bad, but don't expect the reasonable balance of that system to carry over.
  • Luck seems a seriously bad idea: a lucky character could be balanced to have the appropriate expected amount of additional loot to be as powerful as a character with good "real" attributes, but from a player's point of view luck indifferently gives rewards for anything he does, maybe even passive behaviour, while real attributes are factors that need to be developed with a strategic plan and applied through good tactics; in other words, they require player skill and game-playing effort to be useful.
  • Can't you find other uses for Strength, like breaking things or resist being pushed? Affecting damage is important but one-dimensional.
  • Even without magic, one or two mental attributes could be useful for strictly combat-related purposes: feints, initiative, being surprised or not, detecting hidden things, guessing enemy moves, etc.
  • Combat Level is used for all combat-related purposes: separate skills, at least splitting melee attack, ranged attack, dodging and soaking damage, seem more natural (and much simpler to balance in useful ways).
    You might not need something as complex as the GURPS skill default system, but (provided you have genuinely different first-choice weapons) splitting melee and ranged combat attack skills into weapon skills like Sword, Polearm and Bow is a traditional pattern that many players expect.

Produci, consuma, crepa

#3 weka   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

I didn't say I using GURPS but just looking over it. As for luck, I think I should probably throw that out. Maybe have HP as a Main attribute instead. As for Strength... maybe also make it a requirement for certain items to carry them?
I know what 'detecting' hidden things can be... but how can they be used with a number. Bu what do you mean by feints, imitative, being surprised?

As for combat-related things... what would suggest. Ranged and melee.

#4 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2008

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Detecting things: Odds of finding an item like so
100% is always finding it, so if you can max out a stat:
current score / max score = % chance to find an item.
If you can't max out a stat, have it add some bonus to the percent, and your reward value is based off of this:
Base line: 50% chance. Score is 23. Let's say it adds half of your score to your percent: 50 + floor(23 / 2) = percent of finding an item. If the stat goes over, give them a larger reward: 50 + floor(123 / 2) = 111, so they will find an item (111 - 100 = 11) and they get an 11% increase to the item found (it was worth 50 gold, now it is worth 50 + (50 * .11) = 55.5 gold). Just have to figure out what you would like to have. As for your stats, start an account at BattleOn and try out Adventure Quest, they have similar scores, but add in Intelligence (they have spells) and Charisma (usually used for chance for your pet to attack).

Feinting is where you act like you are doing one thing, but do another. It allows you to throw your opponent off their guard since they aren't expecting what you are about to do.

Initiative is usually who acts first. Higher initiative means you act before someone with lower initiative.

Surprised is a bit like feinting. Your opponent is off their guard, so you get some bonus. Usually they are easier to hit because of this. It's like you sneak up on someone and slash at them with a sword. They can't guard with a shield, they don't know you are attacking.

I think for combat, doing polearms, melee, and ranged should work. It gives people options. Polearms can attack but still keep people from within regular melee distance; ranged gives you that distance but can't fair well up close, and melee gives you that close combat, potentially quicker than polearms, but probably less damage due to polearms having a longer swing (they can apply more force to the attack).

#5 orizvi   Members   -  Reputation: 265

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Just keep in mind - its fine to use GURPS for reference, but don't rely on it too heavily. Their license is surprisingly restrictive.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS