setting up virtual server

Started by
1 comment, last by Antheus 11 years, 11 months ago
Don't know the first thing about web stuff. Unfortunately I need to test a modified jar file which is part of a program that relies on java Webstart. The jnlp files are downloaded from clicking on a button on the website and it supposedly downloads all the relevant jar files and resources. The client sends the information back to the server (Ubuntu) which uses a cgi file to handle the request

I'm running Windows Xp and Win7. Where would I look to easily set up a virtual environment so I could test the program on my computer without the hassle of setting up an additional physical server or actually running everything over the net?

Thanks
Advertisement
Microsoft's VirtualPC is free. Download, install, create a virtual machine install Ubuntu on it, done. I've needed to do that same thing many times over the years, the process of installing and creating a server is very easy and only takes a few minutes. After that you must install and configure the OS, which will take much longer.
If looking for a more streamlined process, look into vagrant. It uses Oracle's VirtualBox instead (also free).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement