• Create Account

Best Way forward into game development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 CockRoach   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

hi just need some advice on how to get into game development, i've been self teaching C++ and now C# in XNA game studio for the past 2 years
i'm currently coding my own game its got the basics: (start, Finish,enemies,player lives,hit points, levels increasing in difficulty, etc),i've pretty much finnished most of the logic of the game although need to smarten up the graphics and level design will take me about 12/24 months to finnish.
I cannot go to college full time as i have a house and kids the usual stuff to pay for:

So do i carry on and hope in years to come i can release my indie game and hope i would get a job offer or do i go for a distance learning course at traintogame and pay out about £5000 only to realise the qualification is'nt reconised in the game indusry?, at the moment i put in about 20 hours a week on my coding.

just need some helpful advice from people who know more about it than myself.

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8668

1Likes

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I moved this to Breaking In because your goal is "a job offer." You might find some of the FAQs here useful.
You don't necessarily need to finish your game, but you do need a very excellent portfolio of demos, code, etc.
I agree with your assessment of another 2 years of this (that would be equivalent to 4 years of study), plus some more time for portfolio building.
In order for an employer to take notice of you without a degree, you'll need a good resume and a great portfolio, and probably some references from indie developers.
I don't recommend an online course, especially a for-profit school's online course.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 CockRoach   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ok thanks for the advice tom will carry on coding my game until its finished then see what people think of it and go from there.

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8668

0Likes

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ok thanks for the advice tom will carry on coding my game until its finished then see what people think of it and go from there.

"What people think of it" is much less important than making more demos after that one. Employers aren't expecting to hire a Renaissance man who can do everything all by himself. They want to see that you're a competent programmer (assuming what you're looking for is a programming job).
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 Destin Bales   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

CockRoach,

Here's my advice: http://www.ineedtomakegames.com/

With enough passion, you can make it happen.

Best,

- Destin

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS