• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Engine-Tool Runtime Communication

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 SeiryuEnder   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'm currently developing a world building tool for my game engine.

The engine is written in C++, and the tool is written in C#.

Ideally, I want to design things so that the engine renders to a surface in the tool and the tool communicates with the engine at runtime for entity creation/placement/etc.

What are the best technical approaches to making this happen? Specifically, what is an efficient and maintainable method I can use to establish communication between the tool and the engine?

-edit
I realize this is something I could probably google, I'm just not entirely sure where to start. So... thank you for your patience and any direction/guidance!

Edited by SeiryuEnder, 30 May 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7793

1Likes

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

When you want to code a multiplayer game, I would consider using a network interface. It would be a language independent solution and a superb preparation.

#3 SeiryuEnder   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

When you want to code a multiplayer game, I would consider using a network interface. It would be a language independent solution and a superb preparation.

I hadn't considered a networked solution for communication... I rather like this. If I recall correctly, the PS3 devkit uses a similar method. This actually opens up some pretty neat possibilities. Theoretically, two or more people could work in tandem creating and/or playtesting on the fly. I still haven't gotten around to making a networking component for my engine yet, but a barebones Berkely sockets system shouldn't be too hard to drum up just to get things moving.

I still have to figure out a way to get a C++ engine to render to a C# surface -- but that's another creature entirely.

#4 nox_pp   Members   -  Reputation: 490

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

How about this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/935664/possible-to-call-c-code-from-c

At a higher level, I would look into using a key/value store like Redis to host a message queue.

Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look <-- The game I'm working on

Object-Oriented Programming Sucks <-- The kind of thing I say

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS