• Create Account

Game gets higher fps when executing through gDebugger

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Felipe Lira   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

Hi,

I'm working on improving my game performance and I'm using gDebugger to profile it. I've come to a problem that when executing the game through gDebugger I get ~150fps, while when executing the game normally I get only ~60. I print the fps on screen and I can assure it's not an error in my fps computation, since when I run through dDebugger the fps print matches the value in gDebugger.

I'm using MSV Compiler. The binary has no code optimization (-O0). My game had a 60 frame cap but I've disabled it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5970

3Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

60 fps is perfectly normal if vertical synchronization is enabled. (It might be disabled while debugging) and thus its nothing to worry about.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8066

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'm working on improving my game performance and I'm using gDebugger to profile it. I've come to a problem that when executing the game through gDebugger I get ~150fps, while when executing the game normally I get only ~60.

Hitting 60 FPS on your target hardware? Performance = achieved!

If your game isn't finished, stop now and continue to develop the core game. When you add new stuff to your game, it could invalidate some of these optimisations you would be adding. In addition, new, bigger bottlenecks might appear. Finally, optimised code tends to be more difficult to maintain. These are all reasons to defer non-essential optimisation until later.

You should only optimise in the middle of a game if there are clear performance problems.

Any ideas?

Ship with dDebugger?

#4 Felipe Lira   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

It would be awesome to ship with gDebugger, hehehe. But seriously, I'm hitting 60fps in my hardware, which is a fairly good computer, other less powerful hardware will not achieve that. I guess it would be a better approach to debug on worse machine and find the bottleneck there instead of mine. The fps problem still bugs me though.

I wonder if gDebugger has some sort of dark magic...

#5 Felipe Lira   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Figured out the magic, it turns out the gdebugger has vsync off while my game setting turns it on.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS