• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Mobile devices with multiple user support?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2185

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hi all!

I haven't started to develop to mobile devices, but seeing the market (including labour-market) today, and the weekend contest totally made my mind all about developing games for mobile devices.

I'd love to develop small casual games (mainly puzzles) for this market, but I don't know pretty much anything about it.

My first question about this:
Are games developed to be able to support one or more players (I'm talking about single player games)?
By this I mean games, that have many levels and it's possible to continue them for example. Do I have to make a save PC game like game system (naming files then load one of them), or can I just add an auto-save feature that saves one file?

It's hard to express, what I'm trying to ask: is it safe to assume that the device (and the game) will be used by one user?
How do mobile games handle saving of games where there is some kind of progression?

I hope this post makes sense.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19418

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

A lot of existing titles just assume a single user. If you want anything more complex I'd go with basic accounts ("Hi <user>! Tap here if this isn't you.") rather than named save files; it's the way other casual games usually handle it, and it's easy to use with the limited input device.

If you're targeting phones only then assuming a single user is normally alright, but if you're also targeting tablets it's more likely the device might be shared.

#3 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2185

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks. Tablets too, so I'll look into solutions. Though I don't know if I'll buy a tablet any time soon...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS