• Create Account

Your SimplEngine (from opengl game book) Thoughts

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 GalaxyQuest   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 October 2001 - 12:28 PM

Im fairly new to opengl and 3d programming. With that said I was wondering what some of you more experienced 3d engine designers opinions were of the SimplEngine writen for OpenGl Game Programming book?? For example, will this engine lend well to implementing Level of Detail, quadtree/bsp/octree techniques for reducing terrain details? (since the engine uses "nodes" to break up the world) I have a few more questions, but ill start the topic off with this.

Sponsor:

#2 masonium   Members   -  Reputation: 118

Posted 07 October 2001 - 12:32 PM

It''s a decent engine, but it is really game specific. It would be hard to take the engine as a whole and create a new game. You could take parts of it, though. Also, the game itself isn''t all that great.

#3 GalaxyQuest   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 October 2001 - 05:22 PM

I can understand your thoughts on it being specific.

Another thing, I really would like your thoughts more towards the "rendering" system of the engine, because yes, the sound and input is pretty basic and is decent for any hobby style games.

So what have you done differently in terms of the 3d rendering of the world..or what should be done differently??

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS