• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

php frameworks like Zend framework for building browser based mmo games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 dave don   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

I am planning to write a browser based strategy game similar to Travian but a totally different idea.
I am familiar with php and object-oriented programming in php.
I am going to use php/mysql/javascript.

Recently, I have heard people use frameworks such as Zend framework to build dynamic websites.
I looked at Zend Frameworks documentation and it was pretty good. They follow model-view-controller style.

I was wondering if you guys recommend, using framework to build these type of browser based games?

Assumptions: {

Assume that I know how to handle server side (Load balancer/application/database) across multiple servers)
Assume that I have the ability spend money on server side and handle any kind of traffic.

}

Sponsor:

#2 EsmsFan   Members   -  Reputation: 402

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

if you are looking for a framework to ease development time, try Yii-Framework.

The cons of using a framework are the overhead involved.
I created a browser game without using a framework, and am planning my 2nd game without a framework too.

#3 dave don   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Reasons that make Zend attractive to build browser based mmo games are as follow:

1) Frameworks push developers like me to follow the MVC standard and not get into lazy habits.
2) Also Zend has corporate backing. That is why I am more attracted to Zend than [Cakephp, Symphony, Codeignitor, Yii etc].

Aside from our discussion:
I was also looking at the Command and Conquer built by EA http://alliances.commandandconquer.com/ and I also noticed that they don't follow microsoft MVC.
I think game developers are not attracted to MVC. I would like to know what is the most common pattern that has high performance and used in mmorpg type of games?
Currently, I am doing my research, before I start programming the game. And I will keep you up-to-date if I find something interesting...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS