• Create Account

Polygons shifting position in PS1 games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xerodesign   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

So, this has bugged me for a while, and I'm posting the question here because I have a feeling it has to do with floating point precision on older consoles (like the PS1) and older PCs. Perhaps the best way to explain the issue is to show it so, watch the following video and look at the table in the video at about 5:11.

Note how the corner vertices seem to bounce around from their original location. Since the model is static and the geometry doesn't change, I have to assume that it's an artifact of the rendering technique.

So, my question is, why? Why did this happen in the older games? And how was it fixed in later games? If someone can explain this in detail, I would appreciate that very much.

Thanks,

Jari

Edited: The effect can also be seen on the protagonist's right arm at about 7:03.

Edited by Xerodesign, 02 June 2012 - 03:53 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 zacaj   Members   -  Reputation: 643

1Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/bkedc/heres_a_question_why_do_3d_models_on_the_ps1_tend/

#3 Xerodesign   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks. It's what I had thought but it's nice to be sure :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS