• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Database Programming library/API?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 nuclear123   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Could anyone give any recommendations on a powerfull low-level Database programming library/API i should use? I had originally planned on learning OLE DB....to my knowledge OLE DB is deprecated by MS now. Does anyone unmanaged C++ recommendations?

Sponsor:

#2 taby   Members   -  Reputation: 336

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

If I recall correctly, OLE DB was replaced by ADODB / ADO.NET. I think the .NET framework has classes available to you.

I always use MySQL Community Edition these days, which has its own C++ library.

Generally, http://www.sqlapi.com/ looks like something you might want to explore. Its last update was from today, so it looks current.

Edited by taby, 02 June 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#3 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2129

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

I haven't fully checked, but you might be able to use ODBC.

#4 Lynn   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Check out Valentina DB from Paradigma Software. It is an object-relational columnar db (so it is blazingly fast) that runs on a lot of platforms and supports a lot of different development environments.

#5 Laval B   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5370

2Likes

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Could anyone give any recommendations on a powerfull low-level Database programming library/API i should use? I had originally planned on learning OLE DB....to my knowledge OLE DB is deprecated by MS now. Does anyone unmanaged C++ recommendations?

You could also look at the libraries supplied by your SGBD (assuming you really want low level library). If you are working with Oracle, there is the old C api called OCI and the more recent C++ api called OCCI. PostgresSQL and MySQL also have their C/C++ libraries.

Of course, the code becomes dependent on the SGBD used. With Oracle/OCI a big drawback is that you need the Oracle client installed on the client machine which is rather combersome.

Edited by Laval B, 03 June 2012 - 04:45 AM.

We think in generalities, but we live in details.

Alfred North Whitehead

#6 evolutional   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1069

0Likes

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

If database portability isn't an issue and your database has a native API, use that - otherwise I'd use ODBC. If you were using MS SQL Server, use ODBC and the SQL Native Client.

#7 kubera   Members   -  Reputation: 971

1Likes

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

HI!

I am not sure, that ADO is a replacement.
It is an other layer of API, it encapsulates OLE DB using components.

Oracle is very good RDBMS, but licencing it would cost a small fortune and requires good DBAs.

#8 taby   Members   -  Reputation: 336

0Likes

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

HI!

I am not sure, that ADO is a replacement.
It is an other layer of API, it encapsulates OLE DB using components.

Oracle is very good RDBMS, but licencing it would cost a small fortune and requires good DBAs.

You're quite right. Sorry about that.

I was confusing ADODB with ODBC apparently, which are totally different layers like you say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLEDB

Edited by taby, 03 June 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS