• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Structured buffer float compression

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#21 Hyunkel   Members   -  Reputation: 368

0Likes

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

Well... no. I have not.
Do I have to consider this with structured buffers?

No, you don't. It's totally legal to access structures with a stride that's not a multiple of 16 bytes.

Thanks.

Hyunkel, yes, I'm familiar with DX11 compute shaders. You don't necessarily need to use StructuredBuffer UAV. You can use several UAVs as outputs of your compute shaders. So instead of a stream (array) of packed interleaved struct data, you might have streams (arrays) of individual struct members. Instead of 1 RWStructuredBuffer, you'd have 4 RWBuffers as targets of your compute shader. The main disadvantage I see is that you use 4 target slots instead of 1 (there should always be at least 8 supported, if I recall well). I believe you can have texture/buffer UAVs as well in cs_5_0 (unlike cs_4_1) but I've actually used RWStructuredBuffer just like you.

Oh, you can use the standard storage formats with RWBuffers?
For some reason I never thought of that.
That does make things a lot easier indeed.
I'll have to see if that performs just as well, but I see no reason why it wouldn't, and the memory footprint should obviously be quite a bit lower.

Thanks for pointing this out! :)

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS