• Create Account

Creating a installer in visual studio 2010

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 angelmu88   Members   -  Reputation: 228

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Hi everyone!
I'm making a installer in visual studio 2010 for my DirectX app. I want the installer to include a bunch of files, including documentation, and resources like effects files, .X files and so forth. But there are almost a hundred files I want to include and I don't think adding all files directly to the installer is the best way to do it, I've thought of creating some kind of package or zip file and make sure the installer "unzip" them, but I don't know if it's possible, because I've never worked with installers before.
What do you do when you create a installer, specially when you create one for a DirectX app?

Sponsor:

#2 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

1Likes

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm not sure about how VS does it, but installers made with tools like wix, nsis, and Inno Setup are basically zip packages - the files are compressed during creation and extracted during installation. You can use wildcards to add multiple files, so you you don't have to list each one in the xml explicitly.

Edited by turch, 06 June 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#3 angelmu88   Members   -  Reputation: 228

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure about how VS does it, but installers made with tools like wix, nsis, and Inno Setup are basically zip packages - the files are compressed during creation and extracted during installation. You can use wildcards to add multiple files, so you you don't have to list each one in the xml explicitly.

I think in VS it's the same. Thank you!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS