• Create Account

Animate to SwapChain or RenderTargets

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 zipwax   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

I want to animate some synthetic video bits to fullscreen w/o tearing at a precise vertical HZ frequency. Can I set up D3D 9/10/11 in exclusive mode, and have it present a series of buffers that I'm writing to? I know how to copy system memory bits into a texture, then draw that texture as a fullscreen quad, but it seems like overkill. Why should I use the triangle rasterizer when I want to do something so simple?

I don't know what i'm doing, but all I want to do is set up a long (4-8 buffer) swapchain and set the bits of the back buffer that is about to be displayed. Or, I want to allocate 4-8 RenderTargets, and on each frame, copy the bits from system memory to the RenderTarget, then somehow, get that RenderTarget to display on the screen. I realize a RenderTarget is normally used to draw to as a pre-step then use it as a texture in a successive step.

Whatever the case, i want to blast system memory bits into "something that is about to be displayed next" and have D3D drawing one thing while I'm blasting bits to the next thing. I don't know why I should have to use the triangle rasterizer with so simple a task. I've never seen or heard about anybody doing this, but it seems it should be so dead simple!

thanks in advance...

Edited by zipwax, 07 June 2012 - 07:44 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10854

0Likes

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

D3D10/D3D11 have CopyResource, which you can use to copy your output data from a CPU-writable (USAGE_DYNAMIC) texture to the back buffer. Unfortunately D3D9 doesn't have this, so you'd have to render a full screen quad or triangle.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS