• Create Account

C# books

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadowstep00   Members   -  Reputation: 539

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hello, i've decided to learn C# so i would like someone to recommend me a good beginner book in C# to buy. I have no prior experience in programming.
I have seen many books in amazon but i dont know which one to pick up......
also i have found this video tutorial series:

So what do you recommend me most?? follow the video series? or buy a good book? i fear that the video tutorial series will not be so complete as a good book... Thanks in advance.Posted Image

Failure is not an option...

Sponsor:

#2 Kheyas   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am a beginner myself. I recommend you watching the series. Though I think reading a book can be almost the same, just a slower process (not necessarily a bad thing). I am currently going through the tutorial too. I want to start with c# instead of c++ (which i'm learning at school - a lot of people say it's awful for a beginner and I started to understand that somehow). And if you still want to read a book you can try the yellow book by Rob Miles or find yourself some free sources ;).
P.S. The tutorial of thenewboston seemed a little weird in explaining things. Maybe is just me(I understood stuff because i already knew it - c++). Good luck!

Edited by Kheyas, 09 June 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#3 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5755

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

You can see my free and not so free C# book recommendations here.

The C# Programming Language 4th Edition ( soon to be 5th ), is probably as close as C# comes to having a bible. While the Head First series is probably the most approachable.

Edited by Serapth, 09 June 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#4 shadowstep00   Members   -  Reputation: 539

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

First i have to thank you for your answers,
I see this book is top rated by the readers: http://www.amazon.com/2010-NET-Platform-Andrew-Troelsen/dp/1430225491/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is this book suited for beginners? or for more advanced programmers?

Failure is not an option...

#5 nooblet   Members   -  Reputation: 167

0Likes

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

That book is geared towards professional programmers looking for a quick guide to getting started with C#. It's very good for a reference or those with previous experience, but not good at all for the absolute beginner.

#6 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Rob Miles' book is great.
Head First C# is also awesome.

http://www.csharp-station.com/Tutorial.aspx

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS