• Create Account

showing the DirectX EULA

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffrey   Members   -  Reputation: 514

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:28 AM

As part of putting my installer together for The Trouble With Robots, I'm looking over the legal requirements for all of the libraries I use. Chief amongst them is DirectX, and according to the docs 'The DirectX EULA can and should be appended to the game developer's EULA.' It's a pretty ugly EULA but so far, so straightforward.

The strange thing is, I don't remember ever seeing it when I've installed a game. To verify this I've just fired up 10 or so installers from various downloaded games from the last few years and none of them seem to show it (I guess some of them don't use DirectX; only about half have a EULA in the installer at all). Am I missing something here? Is it not really required for some reason? Or do people just not know that they should show it?
The Trouble With Robots - www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble

Sponsor:

#2 DJTN   Members   -  Reputation: 207

1Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I think the MSDN docs are referring to when your game install has to install the DirectX runtime because it is not present on the end users machine. If the end user already has DirectX installed there is no need to display the EULA because they've already agreed to it when they installed DirectX.

To get 100% clarity I'd suggest contacting Microsoft directly.

#3 Geoffrey   Members   -  Reputation: 514

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

I think the MSDN docs are referring to when your game install has to install the DirectX runtime because it is not present on the end users machine. If the end user already has DirectX installed there is no need to display the EULA because they've already agreed to it when they installed DirectX.

That's an interesting point, but when you call DXSETUP.EXE you don't generally know whether it needs to install DirectX as a whole, a few extra components, or nothing at all.
The Trouble With Robots - www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble

#4 kubera   Members   -  Reputation: 866

1Likes

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Please consider reading this topic below.
You would ask the question on those forums also.

http://forums.create...ms/t/70746.aspx

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS