How to start off in gaming

Started by
7 comments, last by antiHUMANDesigns 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi i am new to this world and do not no were to begin unsure.png
About my self:

I have completed year 11 and gave up on year 12 at TAFE.
i do have some experience using unity3D to make landscapes but I have not a clue how to use Java or any programs like that.
I'm slowly learning by my self and will be getting proper training in a digital media course cert 3 at TAFE.
I play piano and have a good ear with music.
i'm very creative and love to write storys.
So my questions are:

How should i start my training?

How can you improve you profile so people will start noticing you in the gaming community?

Are there any other things I should know ?
Advertisement
Why not go into the audio side of game development?
There was a reply on a similar question which said: " Just pick a platform/framework that you like and improve"
Just start with small projects that you can finish(and finish them) then move on to larger more complex projects as you gain more knowledge.

As your experiance grows, pass that knowledge to other people. Maybe write an article how you solved a particular problem.
Thanks for the Help and suggestions
I think you should do the audio. There's not many people who do that and they're always wanted.

But if you still want to start programming then, choose your programming language. Read some articles
or find some tutorials. The basics, just the basics. Then you can go deeper and introduce yourself into
game programming.

1. I have completed year 11 and gave up on year 12 at TAFE.
2. How can you improve you profile so people will start noticing you in the gaming community?
3. Are there any other things I should know ?

1. That's not good. Something else you said, though, seems to indicate that you are working to repair that.
2. Get your year 12 certificate, (and btw a college degree also gets you noticed (it helps to not get your job application thrown out)) and build a great portfolio
3. Yes, lots. What other things are you interested in knowing?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. That's not good. Something else you said, though, seems to indicate that you are working to repair that.
2. Get your year 12 certificate, (and btw a college degree also gets you noticed (it helps to not get your job application thrown out)) and build a great portfolio
3. Yes, lots. What other things are you interested in knowing?

Probably one of the most important things in this field (in my opinion). A degree is very important, don't get me wrong here, but if you can show people that you are more than the piece of paper you will always get noticed.
Thank you I have a lot to think about but I now know were to start laugh.png
If you want to work as a programmer, you should learn more than one language. C++, C#, Java, Python, and some assembler, for example.

I would absolutely advice you to go directly to C++, but I know I'm biased. But perhaps I'm simply right. If you learn C++, you learn how to do things properly. I didn't do that, I started with AMOS (on amiga), then QBasic, then over to web-related languages like PHP and JavaScript, and then finally C++. Then I started with Java at a university, but once I knew C++ I just couldn't stand Java, and I still can't stand it. I can't stand any other language anymore. C++ is powerful, beautiful and most importantly: It makes sense.

As for getting a job, make a good portfolio. However, one thing is good to know: If you want to work with game physics, for example, make an application that shows some physics, like a ragdoll, but don't worry the slightest about the graphics, because the company won't care. They want to see that you can do something like physics, and they don't expect your application to be perfect in any other sense.

That's what I've heard from places like DICE.

I'd like to note that I myself am not employed as a programmer, so I don't have any personal experience about getting a job in the industry. (Oh well, not as a programmer anyways, but as a 3D artist, sure, but that's probably not relevant here.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement