Giving graphics programming a try

Started by
5 comments, last by Legendre 11 years, 10 months ago
[color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,]
I'm at the moment sure that I want to be a Computer Sciencetist. Now, what I would like to do in the field is unkown to me.
I have tried making games ( Which I never finish), and physics simulation using graphics which I enjoy. I have also done Desktop applications.[/font][color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,]
So my question is, can you guys recommend a library for graphics related purposes in Java or if you think C++ would benefit me more I would also be glad to learn a bit about it.[/font][color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,]
If there are also some tutorials that you can recommend I would I accept them all.[/font]
Advertisement
If you are serious about becoming a graphics programmer you need to have linear algebra experience.

If you just want to learn the basics then you don't need much linear algebra; you'll need to understand how a transformation matrix works, what a cross product and dot product are, how to manipulate vectors in space, and so on.

If you don't know how to do those things, then your first stop should be mathematics books. You'll find many books on the subject like "Mathematics for Game Developers", "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development", "3D Mathematics for Game Development", and many others.
He did not mention he want to do 3D graphics, hell he did not even mention he want real-time interactive graphic (but since he's on a gamedev forum I guess he do). If 2D is enough for you (and it should for a start) try having a look at SFML
As Dunge said, if you're interested in checking out SFML check out this tutorial http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-From-Scratch-CPP-Edition.aspx I've personally followed it all the way through and I must say it's very well written. (It is written C++)

If you are serious about becoming a graphics programmer you need to have linear algebra experience.

If you just want to learn the basics then you don't need much linear algebra; you'll need to understand how a transformation matrix works, what a cross product and dot product are, how to manipulate vectors in space, and so on.

If you don't know how to do those things, then your first stop should be mathematics books. You'll find many books on the subject like "Mathematics for Game Developers", "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development", "3D Mathematics for Game Development", and many others.

Thank you, I'm currently designing 2D games in Java but since I'm liking the subject I will challenge myself to learn the required math.

I really do not have much math experience (I'm now starting as a college freshman, first math will be Precalculus).
Also, thanks for the books I will look into the reviews and which might benefit me more.

He did not mention he want to do 3D graphics, hell he did not even mention he want real-time interactive graphic (but since he's on a gamedev forum I guess he do). If 2D is enough for you (and it should for a start) try having a look at SFML

As Dunge said, if you're interested in checking out SFML check out this tutorial http://www.gamefroms...PP-Edition.aspx I've personally followed it all the way through and I must say it's very well written. (It is written C++)

Is it ok if I stick with the language I know best (Java)?

I've made a couple of advances since this post. Here is the video of the game I'm making in 2D using Slick2D, and learning about 2Dimensional arrays and level design.
I will try to update my process of the game through the videos.

[color=#434343]I'm at the moment sure that I want to be a Computer Sciencetist. Now, what I would like to do in the field is unkown to me.

Computer Science is not programming. It is mathematics. I know PhD Computer Science researchers who can't program. (they do a branch of pure mathematics call analytic number theory)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement