• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Currently drafting up a 2d game, suggested tools?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 agm_ultimatex   Members   -  Reputation: 191

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi gamedev. I thought I'd ask this question here, feel free to move if you think it belongs elsewhere :).

Anyways, I'm currently putting together a GDD on a 2d platformer idea i have. A few years ago i built an extremely simple sidescroller in Java. https://github.com/agmcleod/GunzAblazin. It just has simple movement and floor collision detection (althought running it the other day seemed to prove otherwise on the floor detection). I'm thinking on perhaps re-using some of this code and continuing from there with Slick 2d. However, I'm also intrigued by perhaps developing it to work in the browser using modern javascript and perhaps one of the libraries out there. The benefits here for me would be that I am much more familiar with JavaScript as a language. I am a web developer by profession so languages such as JS and ruby are where I call home.

However, I'm wondering if you have any opinions on pros/cons of going the JS route vs a desktop language such as Java (other then stating the obvious that a desktop game coded in Java or C++ would more likely be supported). Or if there are some other frameworks you could recommend. Thanks!

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS