• Create Account

Going Indie: A blog with me in it

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29308

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

So, three years ago I made this post about how I'd just rejoined the games industry. Since then, I've worked on about 7 titles (mostly unreleased), been through a studio closure, been re-hired, met heaps of great people, drank lots of beer, and received substantial pay rises...
...but about 3 months ago, I quit my job as an Engine Programmer.
I've always had the urge to "go indie", but now I've actually got the experience & know-how, the savings account, the contacts, and the opportunities to make it happen. So I'm forming a start-up studio in my spare-bedroom in Melbourne, Australia with some great former colleagues. Also, my former employer has been nice enough to keep me on part-time as an engine consultant/contractor, so I'm not stressed about survival for the moment.

As for the actual game, I can't really talk much about it yet - we do have hundreds of pages of GDD/TDO/business plans/etc, but we're keeping a lid on the project until we get some marketing materials ready to get the concept across properly.

What I do want to write about is the engine we'll be using, as it's a band new custom-made SDK, designed for simplicity and flexibility.
For anyone interested in C++ game engine development, I'd appreciate any feedback on my first post on my new blog:
http://eighthengine....ory-management/

Also, we plan on releasing a free community/"modder" version of the engine-SDK around the same time that our game is done, but I'll also be completely open-sourcing some parts of the code-base, such as our "core" C++ library linked to below:
http://code.google.c.../source/browse/ N.B. Highly WIP, so use at your own risk. Any comments on the code also welcome!

Edited by Hodgman, 12 June 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18487

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

Congratulations! Earlier this year, I decided 'go indie' as well, though I've never worked in the videogame industry, and am doing my project solo (and is probably a much smaller scale than what you are doing). Personally, I don't feel I've actually 'gone indie' until I ship my first release - I'm still in the transitional phase between 'hobbyist game developer' and 'indie game developer' - I call this phase the 'wannabee-but-not-quite-there indie developer' phase. Posted Image

Nice blog post - I didn't fully understand it, never having done multithreading work, but I do have one bit of practical feedback: The "two columns" of your blog makes it harder to follow, especially with a page split, requiring your eyes to jump three times, as opposed to none.

Posted Image

A single column is always an easier read for me.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7109

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Congratulations and good luck Posted Image

#4 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2106

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Congratulations!
I'm starting to get obsessed by the idea of going indie too (um... not really "going", because I was never in the industry) and make small puzzles like crazy. Okay, I don't plan to make a living of it.

I agree with Servant of the Lord about the page layout. I always disliked reading this layout. At first, I didn't even realized that is a page split. It looks more like a book that is really made for printing not for online reading.

#5 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2777

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

Congrats! I hope you still got time for gd.net though Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS