• Create Account

Weird Observation with Depth/Stencil States

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8005

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

So, I'm creating a DepthStencil state to disable both depth testing and depth writing.

Setup is completely standard, and setting a breakpoint on the creation code confirms that the values are going in:
D3D11_DEPTH_STENCIL_DESC ddesc;

ddesc.DepthEnable = FALSE;
    ddesc.DepthWriteMask = D3D11_DEPTH_WRITE_MASK_ZERO;
Creation succeeds, but if I then do a GetDesc on the created state, I get the following:
ddesc.DepthEnable = FALSE;
    ddesc.DepthWriteMask = D3D11_DEPTH_WRITE_MASK_ALL;
Also, if at runtime, I set the state, do GetDepthStencilState, then GetDesc, I also get the above - again with the D3D11_DEPTH_WRITE_MASK_ALL. PIX also tells me that it has D3D11_DEPTH_WRITE_MASK_ALL.

Running with AMD GPU Perf Studio confirms that writes to the depth buffer are happening, but this page - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb205120%28v=vs.85%29.aspx - indicates that this is not normal or expected behaviour - it should be answering "No" to "Is Depth Write enabled?" and earlying-out. Clearly it's not, and this is measurable as a quite significant performance decrease (did I mention that it's in a performance-sensitive part of the code - drawing fullscreen quads for post-processing filters).

What gives?

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS