• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Remotely Connecting to a Server [SDL_net]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Exiled   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Argh! So many SDL_net problems! This one is probably the most important one. I have a basic chat working. However, I'm not sure how to have clients remotely connect. I have port forwarded on my server port (9001), and replaced "localhost" with my external IP address. However, the clients are still unable to connect. If you need any code, just ask. Have you guys had the same problem?

Thanks in advance.
-Exiled

Sponsor:

#2 Rasterman   Members   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

windows firewall rules perhaps?

#3 pifreak   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

You are required to allow it through your firewall for sure. When first testing, if the Windows firewall is in question at all just turn it off.

A) First test locally, with your local i.p. (e.g. 192.168.1.101)
B) Next, test on the local network, say from "Family computer" (192.168.1.102) connecting to the i.p. of "Exiled Server" (192.168.1.101)

*Forward port TCP 9001 to the i.p. for Exiled Server (e.g. 192.168.1.101)*

C) Connect from a remote computer to your external i.p. (e.g. 123.45.67.89)

If step A fails, your program is bugged.
If step A works and B fails, it is a firewall/antivirus related issue.
If steps A and B work and C fails, you have port-forwarded incorrectly.

If A , B, an d C work then you win!

pi`

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS