• Create Account

New to game development; Where do I start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Schploople   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

So, I'm kinda new to game developing, also, I'm new to programming and everything in general, so I don't really know how to start learning.
I'm currently in high school, and I'm about to take my first computer science class this year, but I want to learn beforehand so that I can get a better understanding. Eventually I want to develop games, but where should I start?

Should I start by learning a language first? If so, what? Or using a game engine like UDK or Unity?

If someone could please help me I would be thankful!! Posted Image

-- John Ryan

Sponsor:

#2 DeafTV   Members   -  Reputation: 1192

1Likes

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

I would start by learning a language first. Java is a very friendly starter language that you may want to look into. C++ is the industry standard and is also a bit more complicated, but will make learning other languages pretty easy. Even though C++ is a little harder, don't be discouraged from it as it is a very useful language and you can do almost anything with it. Once you have decided on what language you want to use I recommend buying a book on that language and experiment with it. When you feel like you have a good grasp on the language (and a good bit of practice with it) you can start making text based games then move on to 2d then 3d etc. I wouldn't use an engine until you know programming and are fairly knowledgeable about it. There are also tutorials on the web and youtube which are pretty good (I recommend thenewboston on youtube), but I would still recommend a book as I feel like the one I had gave me new perspectives on the language aside from those on the web. Hope this helps!

#define TRUE FALSE //Happy debugging...

#3 Schploople   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thank you! Posted Image So, would you recommend that I just go learn C++ first? and when should I begin to use engines at that point?

#4 Schploople   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thank you! Posted Image So, would you recommend that I just go learn C++ first? and when should I begin to use engines at that point?

#5 Inukai   Members   -  Reputation: 1297

1Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

So, would you recommend that I just go learn C++ first? and when should I begin to use engines at that point?

I would suggest you to start with c#. It's right, learning c++ is the industry standard, but it can be quit frustrating.
But everyone got his own opinion about it.

You should check this link out: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

#6 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

1Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Actually, I would check out what your computer science course is going to be using and then look into getting experience with that beforehand.

Almost all engines that will give you at least a half decent result will need programming first.

#7 Schploople   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the replys! The class I'm taking teaches Java, but after I learn a language, how can it be applied to developing a game? Like, does it get used as a backbone in an engine, or could you make a game completely off of language?

#8 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

1Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Pretty much both. You have openGl or the java port of Ogre for graphics if you wanted to code your own engine or there are several engines using java available.

#9 Schploople   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Is it possible to learn java for a fundamental of programming and then move on to another more complex language? And also, what languages do UDK and Unity base off of?

#10 Schploople   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Oh, and when the term programming is used in game development, what parts of an engine actually use the code you create?

#11 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

UDK uses C++ or unreal script.
Unity uses C#, javascript (no relation to java at all) or Boo.

Learning java and then something else is perfectly fine.

How much of the game you will be programming yourself varies on the engine. CryEngine is heavily involved, UDK not so much but still heavily involved. Unity you still have to write code but not as much. If you were to write your own engine then it will probably be purely code work with the exception of drawing textures and making 3d models in the editors of your choice.

EDIT, corrected a few mistakes

Edited by 6677, 17 June 2012 - 03:25 AM.

#12 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2187

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

UDK uses C++ or unity script.

I think you meant Unreal Script.

Unity uses C#, javascript (no relation to java at all) or Boo. I think it might also do C++

Unity doesn't support C++. The rest are true, though. People usually say "UnityScript" instead of JavaScript when referring to Unity's JavaScript, since they're pretty much unrelated asides from tiny syntax similarities.

#13 Manill66   Members   -  Reputation: 261

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

I personally think if you are new to programming, start with python. Very simple and you can get some basics... Java is also really good to start with. Save C++ for later. It's better to get basics down first.

#14 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Sorry, wasn't thinking straight.
Corrected original post.

I personally think if you are new to programming, start with python. Very simple and you can get some basics... Java is also really good to start with. Save C++ for later. It's better to get basics down first.

Well his school course is going to be teaching java anyway.

Edited by 6677, 17 June 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#15 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6053

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

UDK uses C++ or unity script.

Unity uses C#, javascript (no relation to java at all) or Boo. I think it might also do C++

Unity doesn't support C++. The rest are true, though. People usually say "UnityScript" instead of JavaScript when referring to Unity's JavaScript, since they're pretty much unrelated asides from tiny syntax similarities.

Unity pro has C++ plugin support though (primarily useful to access other middleware), and if you buy a sourcecode license you can use C++ to modify the engine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS