Moving on with Java

Started by
3 comments, last by bobbias 11 years, 10 months ago
Howdy.

I am currently reading a book on Java, and building a foundation on the language based on my prior knowledge of other languages.

What should I do after this book and after I have a nice grasp on the language? I was looking at lwjgl but there aren't that many great resources for learning it and it seems a bit too advanced. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

What should I do after this book and after I have a nice grasp on the language? I was looking at lwjgl but there aren't that many great resources for learning it and it seems a bit too advanced. Any suggestions?

lwjgl, as far as I know, gives you pretty direct access to OpenGL. Simply translated, that means that if you find a C/C++ tutorial that uses OpenGL, it should be trivial to do a direct translation to lwjgl.

Stay away from old OpenGL stuff though. Run from anything that uses [font=courier new,courier,monospace]glBegin()[/font]/[font=courier new,courier,monospace]glEnd()[/font].
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Okay, any ideas on where to go then?

Okay, any ideas on where to go then?

There are a couple of links in this thread you may be interested in (mine and larspensjo's).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
It's actually a GIGANTIC pain to find anything showing you modern OpenGL :/ I had a hard time finding too much useful code.

http://www.lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_Vertex_Buffer_Objects_(VBO) This should give you an idea of modern opengl.

lwjgl is pretty much the same as using opengl in C++ (there are a few differences, but overall the API is about as close as you can get in java).

The biggest thing about using modern opengl is that you need to do all your matrix manipulation yourself, and if you don't supply it with custom shaders, it'll fall back on the fixed pipeline to render things (which is bad, since fixed pipeline is not modern opengl).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement