• Create Account

Good article on Drawing Policy

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Rivers   Members   -  Reputation: 324

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi,

does anyone have an article or paper about how to implement a good drawing policy when rendering?

I remember to have seen one from the guys of Kill Zone, but I have been looking for it and I can't find it any more =S

Thanks!

Edited by はとぶ, 16 June 2012 - 08:22 AM.

"lots of shoulddas, coulddas, woulddas in the air, thinking about things they shouldda couldda wouldda donne, however all those shoulddas coulddas woulddas ran away when they saw the little did to come"

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5348

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by drawing policy - can you elaborate on what you are looking for?

#3 Jake Rivers   Members   -  Reputation: 324

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thanks Jason,

Well, by Drawing Policy I mean a set of rules on how to sort in an efficient way all the materials, textures, etc... available in the current scene.
"lots of shoulddas, coulddas, woulddas in the air, thinking about things they shouldda couldda wouldda donne, however all those shoulddas coulddas woulddas ran away when they saw the little did to come"

#4 bronxbomber92   Members   -  Reputation: 275

1Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Christer Ericson has a good write-up on his blog about the bucket-sorting approach he used in God of War 3: http://realtimecollisiondetection.net/blog/?p=86

#5 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14263

2Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

You may find this useful.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#6 Jake Rivers   Members   -  Reputation: 324

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ahhh!.. thank you bronxbomber92, thank you L. Spiro,

those articles are exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

#7 Fredericvo   Members   -  Reputation: 466

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

One thing about sorting objects confuses me. If a mesh is made of different subsets, i.e. opaque and transparent and many instances have to be drawn should you break up drawing calls such as to draw all the opaque subsets first and then reiterate through all objects and draw all transparent parts? An example of a house with windows and a whole street filled of those I'd have to draw all wall instances then later draw all window instances?

EDIT : I think the article about render queue might answer my question after all

#8 web383   Members   -  Reputation: 793

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

An example of a house with windows and a whole street filled of those I'd have to draw all wall instances then later draw all window instances?

In order for things to look correct, yes.

#9 Fredericvo   Members   -  Reputation: 466

0Likes

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

An example of a house with windows and a whole street filled of those I'd have to draw all wall instances then later draw all window instances?

So is switching vertex buffers relatively cheap?
i.e.
Setstreamsource vbcar
Draw all opaque parts of every car instance
Setstreamsource vbhouse
Draw all opaque parts of every house
Set transparency
Setstreamsource vbcar
Draw all transparent parts of every car instance
Setstreamsource vbhouse
Draw all transparent parts of every house

Part meaning subset in d3dx mesh terminology even though I actually use DIP calls directly.

#10 jameszhao00   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

If you have an AMD GPU, you can download PerfStudio and use its API trace feature to look at CPU API timings.

#11 web383   Members   -  Reputation: 793

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

So is switching vertex buffers relatively cheap?
i.e.
Setstreamsource vbcar
Draw all opaque parts of every car instance
Setstreamsource vbhouse
Draw all opaque parts of every house
Set transparency
Setstreamsource vbcar
Draw all transparent parts of every car instance
Setstreamsource vbhouse
Draw all transparent parts of every house

Part meaning subset in d3dx mesh terminology even though I actually use DIP calls directly.

Yes this is correct. And, if you want, you can sort your opaque and transparent objects by shader, then by texture - as described by the links by L. Spiro and bronxbomber92.

Just keep these simple rules in mind, and don't bog yourself down with premature optimization until it really becomes an issue. Implement something simple, then profile it before going any further.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS