• Create Account

Stenciling using OpenGl ES 2.0

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 spoilt   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

I am trying to figure out a way to cut out a certain region of a background texture such that a certain custom pattern is not rendered on the screen for that background. For example:
Posted Image

This square can be any pattern. I am using Frame Buffer Object and Stencil Buffer to achieve this kind of effect. Here is the code:
[source lang="java"]fbo.begin();//Disables ColorMask and DepthMask so that all the rendering is done on the Stencil BufferGdx.gl20.glColorMask(false, false, false, false);Gdx.gl20.glDepthMask(false);Gdx.gl20.glEnable(GL20.GL_STENCIL_TEST);Gdx.gl20.glStencilFunc(GL20.GL_ALWAYS, 1, 0xFFFFFFFF);Gdx.gl20.glStencilOp(GL20.GL_REPLACE, GL20.GL_REPLACE, GL20.GL_REPLACE);stage.getSpriteBatch().begin();rHeart.draw(stage.getSpriteBatch(), 1); //Draws the required pattern on the stencil buffer//Enables the ColorMask and DepthMask to resume normal renderingGdx.gl20.glColorMask(true, true, true, true);Gdx.gl20.glDepthMask(true);Gdx.gl20.glStencilFunc(GL20.GL_EQUAL, 1, 0xFFFFFFFF);Gdx.gl20.glStencilOp(GL20.GL_KEEP, GL20.GL_KEEP, GL20.GL_KEEP);background.draw(stage.getSpriteBatch(), 1); //Draws the background such that the background is not rendered on the required pattern, leaving that area black.stage.getSpriteBatch().end();Gdx.gl20.glDisable(GL20.GL_STENCIL_TEST);fbo.end();[/source]
However this is not working at all. How am I supposed to do this using Stencil Buffers? I am also facing some difficulty understanding glStencilFunc and glStencilOp. It would be very helpful if anyone can shed some light on these two.

I have also tried producing this effect using glColorMask but to no avail. The following code should produce a heart with a hollow square (But is not). Here is the code for that procedure:
[source lang="java"]Gdx.gl20.glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0);stage.draw();FrameBuffer.clearAllFrameBuffers(Gdx.app);fbo1.begin();Gdx.gl20.glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0);batch.begin();rubber.draw(batch, 0);Gdx.gl20.glColorMask(false, false, false, true);coverHeart.draw(batch, 1);Gdx.gl20.glColorMask(true, true, true, false);batch.end(); fbo1.end(); toDrawHeart = new Image(new TextureRegion(fbo1.getColorBufferTexture()));batch.begin();toDrawHeart.draw(batch, 1);batch.end();[/source]
Note: I am using the libgdx library.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS