• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Advanced terrain, how to? Chunks, LOD or GMM?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 gnomgrol   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hello
My problem is pretty basic. Im fairly new to 3D stuff, and Im using c++ + D3D11.
Im trying to create a (pretty) large terrain, lets say 4096x4096, may larger.
I got the basics of Terraincreation, and already split it up into chunks. I can do FC.

But, when Im rendering them (every chunk has its own V and I buffer, as well as its own heightmap), there are still little pieces missing between them. Im searching since days now, and I read alot about LOD and GMM, but I cant really implement the theorie I read.
At the moment, it looks like this:

Posted Image

I could really use some help, everything is welcome.
If you got some good tutorials on any of this, please share them.
Thanks a lot!

Sponsor:

#2 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

I've never used directx but what about if the chunks overlapped a little bit?

#3 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2598

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Is the triangle winding order correct?

Is it a float precision problem?

o3o

#4 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

I had the same problem. It is caused by the transition between 2 LOD levels. This presentation shows how Battlefield 3 got around the problem

http://developer.amd.com/documentation/presentations/legacy/Chapter5-Andersson-Terrain_Rendering_in_Frostbite.pdf

#5 gnomgrol   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Okey, i managed to fix it.
I was not using LOD so far, just simple chunks.
I made ever chunk which is not at a corner connect to the others by setting its outer rows of vertices on exactly the same values of the one next to him.
Works fine, now i have to read how to implement the LOD stuff.

#6 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Okey, i managed to fix it.
I was not using LOD so far, just simple chunks.
I made ever chunk which is not at a corner connect to the others by setting its outer rows of vertices on exactly the same values of the one next to him.
Works fine, now i have to read how to implement the LOD stuff.

When you do implement LOD, that method will not work any more. The simple fix is adding a "skirt" to each chunk. Just add a row of vertices to each side that has the same normal and x and z coords, and reduce the y coordinate by a couple of units. This will fill any pixel holes and will look correct.

Edited by turch, 18 June 2012 - 07:24 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS