• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Which OpenGL version?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Telios   Members   -  Reputation: 398

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hiya,

In addition to Direct3D projects, I'd like to have an OpenGL game demo on my portfolio to show - but I'm unsure which version is more appropriate. The game technically only requires DX9-era graphics hardware to run, but I'm aware that the corresponding OpenGL 2.1 API is now considered outdated.

Would an employer rather see a demo which uses an older API version, but can run on a wide range of hardware? Or a more modern API version (3.0 onwards) which 'artificially' requires higher-end DX10-level hardware?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Cheers.

Edited by Telios, 17 June 2012 - 02:11 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 clb   Members   -  Reputation: 1787

1Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I've done interviews for programmers, and my thought is that I don't care if you've done OGL2 or OGL3. The more important things related to GPUs I test is whether they can do shaders or not, and whether they understand the concept of writing code that's executed by two separate processing cores (cpu & gpu) in parallel, and what kind of implications that has, performance and code structure-wise.

As a programmer, I don't touch OpenGL 2 at all. In my hobby engine where I don't care about legacy compatibility, it's just Direct3D11 and OpenGL3. That takes a lot of headache away, and keeps things simpler.
Me+PC=clb.demon.fi | C++ Math and Geometry library: MathGeoLib, test it live! | C++ Game Networking: kNet | 2D Bin Packing: RectangleBinPack | Use gcc/clang/emcc from VS: vs-tool | Resume+Portfolio | gfxapi, test it live!

#3 Telios   Members   -  Reputation: 398

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for that, it's useful to know.

Cards with DX10 / OGL3.3 support have been around since 2006-ish (iirc), and as it's a portfolio I would hope I'm unlikely to run into legacy DX9 cards. I'll stick with 3.3.

Cheers!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS