• Create Account

Function "Overload" Question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 PeterF   Members   -  Reputation: 562

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

This is a long shot, but is there any way, in C++, to overload a function such that it takes an arbitrary number of parameters (without explicitly overloading it a thousand times) and can evaluate various control structures and/or output the "parameter number" (ie foo(a, b, c), where "a" is parameter 0, "b" is parameter 1 etc? Obviously each of the arbitrary number of parameters would have to be the same type. An example of my ideal solution...:

[source lang="cpp"]foo(any number of std::strings){ std::string str; cin >> str; if (str == any of the input strings){ return parameter_number_of_the_string_it's_equal_to; } // if} // foo[/source]

Sponsor:

#2 BattleMetalChris   Members   -  Reputation: 157

1Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Could you not just pass a reference to a vector of the parameters? This also lets you use templates if you plan on having several versions for different parameter types.

typedef std::vector<std::string> ParamsVec;

int foo(ParamsVec& params)

{

std::string str;

cin >> str;

int count = 0;

for (ParamsVec::iterator it = params.begin(); it != params.end(); ++it)

{

if ((*it) == str) return count;

count++;

}

}

EDIT: aargh, stupid source tags, why do they cut off angle brackets if I specify a language type?...

Edited by BattleMetalChris, 17 June 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#3 PeterF   Members   -  Reputation: 562

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

That works, thanks. I was just wondering if there was actually something like what I described with the arbitrary number of separate parameters, as it would cut out the step of creating the vector. Otherwise I can live with that.

#4 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9338

1Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

If using a C++11 compiler you can use variadic templates.

#5 krippy2k8   Members   -  Reputation: 642

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'd just like to add that you don't necessarily need to use the same type for your parameters. You can use a variant type to wrap different parameter types and pass them in a vector to your function. Look at Boost.Any for a very simple, elegant and fairly efficient variant type. Definitely faster than doing things like converting strings to integers or floats.

You can also roll out a bunch of template functions to help automate the process of creating the vectors to make the code easier to use. i.e:

void foo( const std::vector<boost::any>& params )
{
   //iterate params and work!
}

template<typename T1>
void foo( T1 p1 )
{
   std::vector<boost::any> params;
   params.push_back(p1);
   foo(params);
}

template<typename T1 p1, typename T2 p2>
{
   std::vector<boost::any> params;
   params.push_back(p1);
   params.push_back(p2);
   foo(params);
}
///etc up to Tn/Pn

Then you just need to put your control logic in the first function, and be able to make calls like this:

foo( 1, 0.5f, "whatever", new SomeUserType() );

You could also use some C++ macros/metaprogramming to generate as many template functions as you need without having to create them all explicitly.

Not quite as handy as variadic templates, but should work on any(most?) C++03 compiler.

#6 Eigen   Members   -  Reputation: 519

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

Variable argument list?

#include <stdarg.h>

void vaFunc(int stringCount, ...)
{
  va_list vl;
  va_start(vl, stringCount);

for(int i = 0; i < stringCount; ++i)
  {
	printf("arg%d = %s\n", i, va_arg(vl, char *));
  }

va_end(vl);
}

vaFunc(2, "hello", "world");

This function expects all arguments to be char *, but if you want them to be to be of different type, you need to differate between them somehow. Take a look at this for an idea: http://msdn.microsof...9(v=vs.80).aspx

Edited by Eigen, 18 June 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#7 Eigen   Members   -  Reputation: 519

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Scrap my previous post, I misread the topic. What you actually need, is this:

int countArguments(const char * arg, ...)
{
  va_list vl;
  va_start(vl, arg);

printf("arg0 = %s\n", arg);

int i = 1;
  while((arg = va_arg(vl, const char *)) != NULL)
  {
	printf("arg%d = %s\n", i, arg);
	i++;
  }

va_end( vl );

return i;
}

printf("Argument count: %d\n", countArguments("Hello", "world", NULL); // Pass 0 or NULL as the last parameters, to detect the end of argument list

#8 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2106

1Likes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

"Basically whenever you invoke the dread ellipses construct you leave the happy world of type safety." — SiCrane

:)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#9 Ryan_001   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1207

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

There's always the option of using macros to define how ever many versions of the function you want. Its very messy but it does work. I suggest using the boost pre-processor library to help.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS