• Create Account

Rent Quest - Classes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 TechnoGoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1807

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Rent Quest

I’ve decided to put my planned next project on hold until I can test out some of the features in smaller space. And at the moment I’m brain storming ideas for a new game idea Rent Quest. The “epic” quest to pay your rent. Condensed and abstracted combination of traditional rpg tropes and styles with life sim games.

The player chooses a “class” from a list of modern archtypes. The player then uses their traits and flaws to deal with a series of events, challenges, and quests as they try and scrape together enough money to pay their rent at the end of the months, along with any other life style choices they make.

The whole game is supposed to modular, funny and satirical so you get events like:
  • A girl complimented your shirt it must be lucky! Shirt gains a +5 attractiveness bonus.
  • The link to your latest blog post was retweeted by a Z list celebrity. Gain £5 in ad revenue.
  • An older man thought you looked cute in the shoes you’re trying on and offers to buy them for you in exchange for your number.

Challenges require a combination of skills, items, and choices and the idea is that some odd combinations will yield unexpected results. For instance having the Encyclopedic Game Knowledge Skill lets you overcome the challenge Big Multiple Choice Test by discovering that answers key matches the cheat code for your favourite game.

For an artistic style it’ll all be stick figures and simple 2D graphics, most likely without any animations.

I’m currently trying to think of a bunch of “classes” for rent quest. Each class starts with 1-3 skills and 1-3 anti-skills or traits and flaws I haven’t decided on the name yet. Skills help and anti-skills get in the way making things more difficult or provide additional challenges. I’m looking for ideas for classes how you’d see them trying to achieve their goal, and what skills and anti-skills they would have.

The ones I have so far:

Gamer (Male/Female)
Skills:
  • Mad Skillz – You are just epic you can button mash and trash talk better than any noob.
  • Encyclopaedic Game Knowledge – There isn’t a cheat, exploit, or meaningless game fact you don’t know.

Anti-Skills:
  • Level 0 Socializing – Why go out and meet people when you can flame anonymously on a message board?
  • Carpal Tunnel - You suffer from an old war wound from a 72 gaming marathon that causes your hands to occasionally lock up.

Aspiring Model (Female)
Skills:
  • Easy on the Eyes – Good looks and a great smile can help you get through all kinds of situations.
  • Rinsing - Some time people buy you things because you’re cute is that a crime?

Anti-Skills:
  • Too Cute – You’re just too cute. Some girls hate you for it and some guys are just too shy to speak to you.
  • Clothes Whore – You have to buy new pieces of clothing each week even if you can’t really afford it.

Emo Guitarist (Male)
  • Immune to the pain and tragedy of life – Mood never changes, and you are unaffected by minor injuries.
  • Guitar Player – You play the guitar deal with it.

Anti-Skills:
  • Black is the only color – You refuse to wear anything that isn’t black.
  • Tragic Back Story – Like all artists you have a tragic back story. You were forced to grow up in a happy suburban home. With a loving family who were nothing but encouraging and supportive.

Student (Male or Female)
Skills
  • Dirty Resistant – You have the amazing ability to go days without showering or wearing cleans cloths without ill effect.
  • TV Expert – You’ve accumulated hundreds of hours watching your favourite downloaded tv shows.
  • Pro Slacker – If there was gold medal competition for being a slacker you wouldn’t even turn up.

Anti-Skills
  • Noon Already – You are never up and ready to start your day before noon.
  • Let’s Go Drinking – You are unable to turn down invites to drink, party, or generally slack off.

Blogger (Male or Female)
Skills
  • Opinion on everything – There isn’t a topic you don’t have an opinion on
  • Troll – You can tear apart the self-esteem of even the most confident of people.

Anti-Skills
  • Self-Important – You get annoyed when people don’t know who you are.
  • Screen Addict – You sweat, get nervous, and start to shake if you don’t have your phone or computer nearby.

Any other ideas?

Writing Blog: The Aspiring Writer

Novels:
Legacy - Black Prince Saga Book One - By Alexander Ballard

Current Projects: Rags to Riches -prototype increment game - Design V1

Android Apps:

Sponsor:

#2 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2544

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Character types off the top of my head - am making somewhat of an assumption based on your character descriptions used so far that you operating around the you adult stage i.e. 18 - 25

Musclebound Oaf - gentle giant but clumsy to the point of destructive
Illegal Immigrant - willing to work at anything but runs at from any sign of the law
The Dreamer - exists on their own belief that they will be a star - self-absorbed.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS