Best Programming Language For a Beat'em Up Game

Started by
6 comments, last by Inuyashakagome16 11 years, 10 months ago
Hey, im relatively new to designing games, so i thought i would ask for some help from some people with experience. My long term goal is to make a beat'em up game, similar to something like Little Fighters 2 or Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Anyway i was hoping you guys could give me some insight on what would be the best programming language for me to get comfortable with so i can work on a game like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: sorry for not mentioning it, but yes im aiming for a 2D game.
Advertisement
I suggest you use C# with Microsofts XNA. It is relatively easy to learn in comparison to something like OpenGL or Direct3D. Spend a week or 2 learning C# then another week or 2 getting used to XNA and you'll be well on your way to making your game. There's a few good books on Amazon as well
The majority of Internet Explorer users don't understand the concept of a browsing application, or that there are options.
They just see the big blue 'e' and think "Internet". The thought process usually does not get much deeper than that.

Worms are the weirdest and nicest creatures, and will one day prove themselves to the world.

I love the word Clicky
If you mean 2D, XNA probably isn't the best choice - It's largely a 3D API. There are (although this isn't an area I'm familiar with) 2D engines that would probably be much more suited than XNA.
would C# be good? or C++?
Well most game industrys are using C++. Idk about C#!?
2D is just a special case of 3D, so a 3D API is perfectly capable of handling 2D as well.

Regarding best language, there is none. Do you already know how to program? If so then the best language is one you already know and are comfortable with. Do you not know how to program yet? Then don't even think about writing a game for now - learn how to program first, picking some more realistic objectives.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

XNA is just fine for this. I mean better than coding your own framework from scratch.

You'll have to code everything by yourself. So be prepared, because it's not an easy thing. But choose language
and learn how to program first.

2D is just a special case of 3D, so a 3D API is perfectly capable of handling 2D as well.

^ Yes sir.

would C# be good? or C++?

C# would be fine. If you're just starting out don't start with C++. You don't want to lose you're hair yet.

Well most game industrys are using C++. Idk about C#!?

C++ yes, I thought that a lot of XBLA games were made with C#

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement