• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Over ambitious?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 DOAdev   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have just started programming/designing an indie game. I am programming in Dark Basic pro and am fairly experienced. And I was wondering whether my idea was to ambitious. It will be a 3D first person Open world RPG. Graphics will be fair (TES Morrrowind), AI will be good (Mirrors Edge like), and the gameplay will be good (TES Oblivion). If I am forgetting to mention something just ask.
Also forgot to mention these two things I have the software to incorporate Nvidia PhysX should I? And is a multiplayer patch too ambitious?

Thanks a lot,

DOA Developer, Jack

Sponsor:

#2 jefferytitan   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2222

1Likes

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Generally if someone asks that question, the answer is "yes". ;)

When you say you're fairly experienced, at what? Programming? Programming games? Programming that genre of game? How relevant your experience is to the task at hand makes a huge difference.

Are there other members in your team? Without artists and sound people your task will be difficult.

Is this a commercial venture? For experience? For a portfolio? For playing with your friends? Once again, different skills may be required depending upon the goal.

#3 originative programming   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

It really depends on time-frame, funding, team size, experience and expectations - If you are fairly experienced, you should know the answer.

#4 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3891

1Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

Yes :)
At least you are sane enough to ask first, which is rare indeed (I wasn't when I was making the same kind of game).

BTW, using Basic for 3D does not make any sense, 3D is so problematic than learning a C++ is a piece of cake in comparison (not a significant added difficulty at all), and you have tons more options when it comes to 3D if you use C++.

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS