• Create Account

Memory adressing.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 TMarques   Members   -  Reputation: 189

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'm wondering if I'm doing this the right way.

Suppose I have a 16bit data type, short in C, and I want it to represent two characters, 'H' and 'U', in a way, this short would act like a char vector of length 2, char[2].

This is the code:

short hum;
memset(&hum, 0, sizeof(short));
memcpy(&hum+0, "H", sizeof(char));
memcpy(&hum+1, "U", sizeof(char));

I don't know if memory addresses can be handled in this byte by byte approach, ignoring the real data type size, this would be better than using bit shift and OR operator, I believe.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Tiago.MWeb Developer - Aspiring CG Programmer

Sponsor:

#2 Dancin_Fool   Members   -  Reputation: 581

2Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken, using +1 since it's a short the compiler will assume that you want to increment by 2 bytes. What you'd need to do is cast it to a char* and then do the +1 like this
short hum;
memset(&hum, 0, sizeof(short));
memcpy(&hum, "H", sizeof(char));
memcpy(((char*)&hum)+1, "U", sizeof(char));

or you could do something like this

short hum = 0;
char* humPtr = (char*)&hum;
*humPtr = 'H';
*(humPtr+1) = 'U';

Edited by Dancin_Fool, 20 June 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#3 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4249

2Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

I don't know if memory addresses can be handled in this byte by byte approach, ignoring the real data type size, this would be better than using bit shift and OR operator, I believe.

Read up on pointer arithmetic. &hum+1 is the next short if &hum is an array, therefore, &hum+1 is sizeof(short) bytes after &hum. However, ((char*)&hum) + 1 is the next byte after &hum...

Personally, I think using memcpy to copy a single byte from a string is a waste. I'd prefer any one of the following:
1. Directly reinterpreting from a string:
short hum = *(const short*)"HU";

printf( "hum=%d\n", hum );

2. Bit-wise operations
short hum = ('H' << 8) | 'U';

printf( "hum=%d\n", hum );

3. Unions
union {
    short hum;
    char buf[sizeof(short)];
} _;

_.buf[0] = 'H';
_.buf[1] = 'U';

printf( "hum=%d\n", _.hum );

Edited by fastcall22, 20 June 2012 - 03:04 PM.

c3RhdGljIGNoYXIgeW91cl9tb21bMVVMTCA8PCA2NF07CnNwcmludGYoeW91cl9tb20sICJpcyBmYXQiKTs=

#4 TMarques   Members   -  Reputation: 189

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

It's quite confusing since there are only exemples of memset() and memcpy() involving "char" types, so I appreciate the article fastcall22. About the third parameter in both memset() and memcpy(), is it right to assume it's the size of a char and not the size of the data type, so they set or copy n bytes from the pointer specified?
Tiago.MWeb Developer - Aspiring CG Programmer

#5 Dancin_Fool   Members   -  Reputation: 581

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yes, it's safe to assume the size parameter is always in bytes.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS