• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

COLLADA Skinning Equation

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 pondwater   Members   -  Reputation: 191

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Okay so i've got what seems to be two decently reliable sources for COLLADA skinning and the equations are as follows:

A)
for 0<=n<influences
	Position = VertexPosition x (Bind Shape x Σ(MatrixPallette[n] x Weight[n]))

where:
	MatrixPallette[n] = inverseBindPose[n] x worldTransforms[n]
	worldTransforms[n] = BindPose[n] x worldTransforms[parent]

B)
for 0<=n<influences
	VertexPosition+= {[(VertexPosition* Bind Shape) * MatrixPallette[n]] * Weight[n]}

where: 	  
	MatrixPallette[n] = inverseBindPose[n] x worldTransforms[n]
	worldTransforms[n] = BindPose[n] x worldTransforms[parent]

EDIT:

Alright I got everything working. Incase anyone stumbles across this post in the future, both methods give identical results. So the equations are equivolent. Equation A) seems to be more efficient when crunching it out on the CPU (at least with my class structures) but this is all temporary as I plan on using skinning it on the GPU later. My problem wasn't my skinning equation, it was my model files, im not sure what I did in Maya the first time but I clearly messed something up with the skinning. Re-skinned and exported the .dae. All is well now.

These were the two resources I used to complete my COLLADA loader, run-time format converter, and animating proceedure.

http://www.wazim.com..._Tutorial_1.htm (Incredible tutorial although I used my own .dae files produced from Maya 2012 which were much easier to parse I found)

http://thecansin.com/Files/COLLADA.pdf (Used to cross reference anything I didn't understand completely)

Edited by pondwater, 25 June 2012 - 08:07 AM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS