• Create Account

Magikaboom

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Heinrich Zweihänder   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hello, I would like to code a 2D shooting game, or a more-or-less worms-like. Well I've made my decision a year ago, but still at the designing stage.

The big point is that I want the game to run in a metaball-based environment, to have a effectively destructive and dynamic one. And to easily add the support for possible fluids. I'm afraid I spent too much time designing, but I prefer to have a strong basis. I won't explain current design right now as it is very unfinished.

Well my biggest issue, is that I can't decide what tools to use : I'm constantly choosing one then the other. I'd like you to give your advice. Note I'm working under linux, so I'd like to have Windows/Linux capable tools and libraries.

My current design would use some kind of concurrent agent-based parallelism, so I need a tool to work efficiently with. I choosed 6 months to use Qt and its signals/slots system, but I've heard it is somewhat a slow system, and I'd rather have computational speed. I've seen this library libcppa which looks nice but whose development is still in progress. Well I believed a programming language designed for such would be the better, like erlang, but then I may need to do lots of interfacing with C to use other libraries. What would you recommend ?

I can do the graphics algo without any problem, but for the physics engine, this may be slightly harder. Maybe I should use an external tool like Box2D ? My concerns is firsly that I wouldn't be able to use SPH fluids when I want it. I'd like to have SPH pretty soon, to manage some density-based property of air. Sencondly I may have an uneasy data structure to manage concurrency since I would have on agent/thread per « scenery entity ». I can possibly write my own engine, but I'm affraid this may take too long and I need a good reference on 2D SPH, which I can't find. If you have a good reference for writing a 2D SPH engine or if you have some advice, please share it.

Thanks for any help,

H.Z.

PS: I hope I posted in the correct section. If I didn't, please move the topic to its appropriate location.
PPS: I've marked the topic as open-source; but almost no source code is yet to be shown, this will come in time.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS