• Create Account

Open source action/realtime multiplayer game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gazu   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hey there, does anyone know if there are any open source action/realtime games out there which feature multiplayer or are based on multiplayer?
I've been trying to get information on that particular matter for more than a week, but all I can get are very wishywashy general descriptions of how client/server models work, what TCP/UDP is, all that basic stuff which doesn't cover the actual problems.
And there sure as hell aren't any tutorials for that kind of network architecture. (I'd love to be proven wrong here. Also I'd like to make a few myself as soon as I get the hang of it)

Anyway, It would be great if I could study some actual code, I don't even care what the language is anymore, If I can't read it I will just have to make the effort of learning it to be able to understand the networking logic.
Btw, I think this doesn't really matter that much, but I'm aiming for a 2D game here.

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

1Likes

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

You may be interested in Bungie's GDC presentation on networking in Halo: Reach (slides available here). Some of the stuff they go over is more valuable than just raw source code, in my opinion. They don't talk about how to get the sockets set up, etc. Rather, they focus on issues that come up in networking and how to overcome them, which is a critical aspect of networking, and something that isn't explained in code.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 Gazu   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thanls, I'm looking into it right now, very interesting indeed, and also complementing some of my thoughts I had about networking.
I'd still appreciate any further input :)

#4 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4971

1Likes

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

The original Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, and Doom 3 are all open source by now. You can read their code for networking, and a lot of other goodness!

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#5 Gazu   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

Wow I didn't know that either, thats cool!
I'm not aiming for a shooter game, but since shooters are as action and realtime as you can get, that would be just perfect, thanks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS