• Create Account

Open-sourced the Scape terrain editor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Giliam   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

To those who are interested in modelling heightfield and/or GPGPU techniques: I just released the free binary and all of the source code for the Scape terrain editor prototype at www.decarpentier.nl/scape. Scape allows the user to 'paint' complex and natural looking terrain in real-time by using the GPU to not only render but also to edit the heightfield using both common and novel procedural algorithms,

Posted Image

Enjoy!
Giliam
www.decarpentier.nl - developer blog | @decarpentier_nl - twitter

Sponsor:

#2 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4717

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

The GUI still needs some work (some things don't seem to work properly, and some don't seem to work at all, all the brush icons are the same, etc.), and I can't seem to figure out how to properly navigate or use a pen of a different size, or how to set some parameters of the terrain...

but

for a prototype it's quite amazing. Especially with its high-res realtime terrain shaping abilities (and realtime really means -- real -- time -- ) this is one of the most stunning tools I've seen (way better than e.g. WorldMachine for which I've paid some real money).

#3 Giliam   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi Samoth.
Thanks a lot!

Btw, I totally agree with you on the menu side. That's far from polished. But the navigation and radius controls are actually quite user-friendly, if you know the right buttons. Be sure to check the userguide under the /Docs folder on this one. And if you really don't like the default keyboard/mouse mapping, you can customize it by editing /Bin/Settings/ButtonDefinitions.xml as well.
Good luck!
www.decarpentier.nl - developer blog | @decarpentier_nl - twitter

#4 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 964

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

Very impressive project! Good job, Giliam! :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS