• Create Account

Should I use the GPU for a tile-based game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 703

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

This is probably a stupid question but honestly I have no idea. I plan on making a 2D tile-based game after I know a bit more C#/XNA. Should I take the time to also learn HLSL for lighting processing etc? Let your reply be defined with the following points:

1. I will be only applying shadows to each tile or maybe even every quarter of a tile (not, for example, every pixel).
2. I'm fairly sure games such as Terraria does not even touch the GPU except for drawing the frames.

I feel confident these days processors can easily handle what I have described (each tile shadows only).

All replies are appreciated, Thanks Xanather.

Sponsor:

#2 mark ds   Members   -  Reputation: 1199

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

2. I'm fairly sure games such as Terraria does not even touch the GPU except for drawing the frames.

Although GPUs are sometimes used to perform calculations, 99% of the time they draw frames.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'only applying shadows to each tile'. Perhaps you need to be a little more specific?

#3 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13391

1Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Your question makes no sense, but it doesn’t really matter.
In any case, working with shaders is the correct answer. You are guaranteed to be able to do whatever strange thing you are planning to do right now, and even fixed-functionality tasks are easier to do with shaders.

Shaders are also higher in performance than the fixed-function pipeline, so if whatever this mysterious thing you are planning is advanced in any way it will benefit from the performance of shaders.

Not only that, but knowing HLSL is simply a benefit to your future. It is expected common knowledge these days and having experience with only the fixed-function pipeline does not impress potential employers.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#4 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 703

0Likes

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

Well I just read a article about HLSL and I must say looking back at this, I really did not make any sense like you said haha. Ill probably look into making shaders with HLSL more. Thanks!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS