• Create Account

Some weird character printing with int 10h

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirrwell   Members   -  Reputation: 279

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Alright, I think I've seen a solution to this somewhere accidentally at one point, but now when I need it, I can't find it. Also in case the people that were helping me out with Assembly before are wondering why I'm doing 16 bit as opposed to 32 bit, I had a really hard time reading through all of the text, and I wanted to just get to the meat of the programming instead of the background behind it, so I went back to 16 bit, where there's many more resources. I learn best by actually working with what I'm trying to learn.

Well, with that out of the way, here's a picture of the problem I'm having:

Posted Image

As you can see there's some kind of weird character at the end of "Hello world."

If I remember correctly, this has something to do with unicode and ASCII, I just don't remember how to fix it. Here is my code:

ORG 100h
USE16
main:											;Main program start
		mov al, 12h						  ;Set video mode
		int 10h
		mov bl, 01h						 ;Bios color blue for text
		mov si, testString				;Move string to si register
		call printString					 ;Call printString function
		mov ax, 4c00h					 ;Appropriate exit code for DOS
		int 21h								 ;Exit DOS
		testString db 'Hello world.'   ;Defined bytes for a string
printString:								   ;printString function start
		mov ah, 0Eh
.pS_Method:								;Printing character method
		lodsb									;Update character from string in si register
		cmp al, 0							  ;If done, al will be 0
		je .pS_Completed				;If al is equal to 0, this will jump to the completion code to return
		int 10h								 ;Otherwise, output character
		jmp .pS_Method				   ;Repeat process for additional characters

.pS_Completed:						   ;Jumped to when completed writing a string of characters
		ret										;Returns back to main "function"

Edit:
I apologize for the messy code, I guess GameDev doesn't support Assembly syntax highlighting. In any case, I think I may get a reply saying something about not having the DOS terminating character in the string. I tried with and without it, and it made no difference, and I think that since I'm using int 10h, it doesn't matter anyway.

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9675

1Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

That doesn't like a Unicode/ASCII problem, but rather a not null terminating your string problem. IIRC you can add the null terminator by using ,0 after your string. Ex:
testString db 'Hello world.', 0

#3 Spirrwell   Members   -  Reputation: 279

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

That doesn't like a Unicode/ASCII problem, but rather a not null terminating your string problem. IIRC you can add the null terminator by using ,0 after your string. Ex:

testString db 'Hello world.', 0

You beat me to my edit. You were right though, I was trying to fix the problem with the dollar sign null terminating character for DOS, I didn't realize it was different using int 10h.

Edit:

One more question, when I used "test" instead of "testString" for defining the string, it came up with an error with "mov si, test"
error: invalid operand.

Also I didn't mention I was using FASM.

Edited by Spirrwell, 01 July 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#4 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1974

1Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

One more question, when I used "test" instead of "testString" for defining the string, it came up with an error with "mov si, test"

I believe "test" is the mnemonic for an instruction related to bitwise operations.

Edit: yes, a quick wiki indicates that "test" performs a bitwise AND on two operands and then sets some flag registers according to the result.

Edited by Oberon_Command, 01 July 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#5 Spirrwell   Members   -  Reputation: 279

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Ah, thank you. Hopefully my questions in the future won't be as stupid. I had a total Homer Simpson moment.

#6 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9675

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

You beat me to my edit. You were right though, I was trying to fix the problem with the dollar sign null terminating character for DOS, I didn't realize it was different using int 10h.

int 10h with an AH of 0Eh prints a single character. It doesn't have any knowledge of strings at all. The problem is that the loop you wrote uses a null to detect the end of the string. That's what the cmp al, 0 is doing. If you don't put a null as part of your string it'll keep reading until it finds one, which is the garbage output you saw.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS