• Create Account

My Dream Game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#21 m.boop127   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thank you so much!, i know it won't look good, and in the end, i may very well be playing this game with cardboard rather than on screen graphics, but i will try! i guess i do have an entire summer to learn!

Sponsor:

#22 tim_shea   Members   -  Reputation: 460

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

If you are still using indexed locations, rather than coordinates, what I would do is generate a weighted graph and assign values to the connections which represent the distance between locations. You can use a directed graph if a connection favors one way travel (e.g. a river is much easier to follow downstream, the south Atlantic can only be crossed westward by wind power). You could generate these weights randomly, but will need to apply lots of constraints if you want to represent a real physical space, that is, excluding directional or other terrain factors, the sum of distances between several locations have to 'add up'. Of course, as this system gets increasingly complex, it may be prudent to just use coordinates and weighted terrain after all.

#23 m.boop127   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

i was thinking another possible expansion of this idea would be a spore like species creator, so you could not only watch humans develop, but other less human species. also i was thinking of doing the same with animals, tell me if this would be a good idea, or if i should stick with a more direct simulator

#24 tim_shea   Members   -  Reputation: 460

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

I haven't played Spore (so take my opinion with a grain of salt) but from what I've read, the in depth creature creator stuff really derailed the game aspects of it. Basically, making monsters and playing with evolution and biology is cool and fun, but doesn't necessarily mesh well with the idea of civilization sims. This really shouldn't be surprising though, as brilliant evolutionary biologists are only just able to coherently explain biological development, and how various factors might influence it, and even then only in somewhat simple cases. On the other hand, we have so little sample data with which to study civilizations, that history is more of a liberal art than a science. Combining these two tremendously complex fields together in a way that is fun and even remotely accurate seems unlikely.

Not to mention, smaller scope (remember that a civilization sim is already among the broadest types of games) is almost universally going to lead to better results for an independent developer.

#25 Sandman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2077

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

I haven't played Spore (so take my opinion with a grain of salt) but from what I've read, the in depth creature creator stuff really derailed the game aspects of it.

I'd say it was the other way around :P

The creature creator was really well done, an amazing bit of technology, and lots of fun to mess around with. Unfortunately, the rest of the game basically boiled down to a sequence of minigames, almost all of which were weak, dumbed down implementations of their respective genres. Ultimately, the creator had minimal effect on the rest of the game. (none at all in fact, after the first couple of stages).

I think if it had been a 'create a bunch of creatures and watch them survive/die off' type simulator, it would have been much more fun than it actually was. Even if it was still boring, it couldn't have been much worse than the string of dumbed down, half arsed subgames it actually was.

All that aside, to the OP: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). This is especially true of your first project. Get something that works - you can always add more cool features to it later.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS