• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Exporting poses from Lightwave Layout

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 batterj2   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

Apologies if this is in the wrong section....

I'm trying to export poses from Layout into our (custom) engine and running into several difficulties, most notably knowing which rotations to extract, the order in which to combine them and convert from a LHR environment to a RHR environment (OpenGLES world). The idea is that we lerp between fixed poses to simulate animations (since there is only going to be a few).

The current approach has us writing a custom script to export a human-readable "pose file" which, for each selected bone in a hierarchy at t=0, contains:
  • Bone name
  • Parent bone name
  • Length of the bone
  • (If root bone, offset position)
  • Rotation of the bone
The script for this is below:
	for (i = 1; i <= selection.size(); i++)
	{
		sceneItem = selection[i];

name[i] = sceneItem.name;
		if(i == selection.size())
			parent[i] = string("");
		else
			parent[i] = sceneItem.parent.name;		
		length[i] = sceneItem.restlength;
		xPos[i] = sceneItem.getPosition(time).x;
		yPos[i] = sceneItem.getPosition(time).y;
		zPos[i] = sceneItem.getPosition(time).z;
		yRot[i] = sceneItem.getRotation(time).h;
		xRot[i] = sceneItem.getRotation(time).p;
		zRot[i] = sceneItem.getRotation(time).b;
		if(time == 0)
		{
			yRot[i] += sceneItem.getPivotRotation(time).h;
			xRot[i] += sceneItem.getPivotRotation(time).p;
			zRot[i] += sceneItem.getPivotRotation(time).b;
		}
	}

As I understand it, each given rotation is an offset rotation on a rotated coordinates axis (rather than a global rotation <- is that what world rotation is?)

When loading the data we determine the position of each bone by:
  • creating a separate rotation matrix for heading, pitch and bank (pitch is negated)
  • multiplying these rotations in the order: ((bank * pitch) * heading) to create a rotation matrix m
  • if its not the root bone we multiply m by its parent rotation matrix mp
  • we then store m as the parent rotation matrix for any children bones
  • we then create a 3D vector v of x,y,z where: x = y= 0 and z = (length of the bone) and rotate this vector by m
  • using v we create a translation matrix mt and then inverse this to create an inverse bind pose matrix mi and store this for each bone
To determine if this works I've written some code to draw debug lines demonstrating the bones and for the most part it looks right up to about the 4th child bone (i.e. great-grandchild) where it looks like some data is missing to a correct rotation. In my case where arms are supposed to be pointing forwards they are in fact pointing upwards. If I turn IK off in Layout and repeat the process I appear to get a correct T-pose of our character.

So...
  • does what I have said so far make sense?
  • Is this a correct approach?
  • Can anybody explain to me the differences and relations between rotations, world rotations and pivot rotations?
Additionally, does anybody where I can find useful information on similar techniques or an explanation of how Lightwave works? It seems any form of help is being systematically being erased from the WWW.

Many thanks for any help received!

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS