• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

HELP!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#21 DevLiquidKnight   Members   -  Reputation: 834

0Likes

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Im very interested in what object oriented programming can accomplish and I do very much want to turn this into a life long career.

that is actually quite a bit of experience for C++ I think you could just move onto objects in C++. Have you seen this site? It also might be a good idea to pick up a good book on C++. I really like this book for an introduction to C++ but others may have better recommendations, stuff by Scott Meyers is also very good, but I might be a bit more advanced for you at this point. Many people also like to recommend Accelerated C++.

Edited by DevLiquidKnight, 05 July 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Sponsor:

#22 Saint Squireen   Members   -  Reputation: 181

2Likes

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

P.S. Although I do heed the warnings of failure on trying to learn c++ as my first official language, I find that it really isnt how big or complicated the language is but how bad(or good) the teacher is. I can promise anybody and everybody that Im so passionate about programming that I will literally not give up on trying to learn a language that millions have learned across the globe.

P.P.S I do find it a 'plus' that C++ is so down and gritty to the computer hardware. I like it when Im in controll of the computer. I dont mind a couple extra hundred lines of code, just as long as the game/program gets everything out of it as it can!! :)

~Saint Squireen

#23 Saint Squireen   Members   -  Reputation: 181

0Likes

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

I havent seen nor heard of the website or Accelerated C++ before but now that you have introduced them to me, I feel like Im never going to run out of material to work from!!! :D I have heard of C++ without fear before and it was a good review too but I couldnt find it...... I find books will help me alot and the next best thing to a personal tutor myself but Im not exactly sure which to buy..... Ill probably by these two just to start me off with something to do and by the time I finish with them I could be ready for more intermediate/higher difficulty material!! :D

~Saint Squireen

#24 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3730

1Likes

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Understanding how to implement such things is important.

No; really it's not.

The vast majority of programming, even game programming is plumbing libraries together. How to line the different pieces up to be correct and robust.

C# abstracts most of this away so that you don't even have to think about it, this is the wrong way to learn.

Near a decade on these forums says otherwise.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS