• Create Account

Several newbie questions for Physx 3

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Davita   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hello Everyone. This is my first post here Posted Image

Today, I tried to play around Physx and Physx visual debugger and as always, newbies have problems and questions. I'll try to describe my problems as best as I can with my poor english skills.

1) I managed to create a physx scene. added a dynamic actor and manipulated it. I see in Visual Debugger it's motion. It's a standard PxSphereGeometry ball. However, when I add a second ball in the scene, the second one is not visible, but I can see that collision happens. Here's the code and if anyone can point me what's wrong with it I'd be very grateful:

PxMaterial* mMaterial;

mMaterial = mPhysics->createMaterial(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f);	//static friction, dynamic friction, restitution

if(!mMaterial)
error("createMaterial failed!");

PxVec3 position(0, 50, 0);
PxRigidDynamic* aSphereActor =  PxCreateDynamic(*mPhysics, PxTransform(position), PxSphereGeometry(3), *mMaterial, 1.f);
PxRigidDynamic* aTrActor =  PxCreateDynamic(*mPhysics, PxTransform(PxVec3(3, 1, 1)), PxSphereGeometry(3), *mMaterial, 1.1f);

if(!aSphereActor)
error("Unable to create sphere actor");

aSphereActor->setMass(1);

aTrActor->setMass(10);

PxRigidStatic* plane = PxCreatePlane(*mPhysics, PxPlane(PxVec3(0,1,0), 0), *mMaterial);
if (!plane)
error("create shape failed!");

mScene->addActor(*plane);
mScene->addActor(*aSphereActor);
mScene->addActor(*aTrActor);

while(true)
{
mScene->simulate(1.0f / 30.0f);
if(!mScene->fetchResults(true))
error("cant fetch result");
Sleep(10);
}
In this scene, aSphereActor collides with aTrActor, but I can't see aTrActor in Visual Debugger, however collision is perfectly visible.

2) Nvidia's documentation is very very poor. It's a torture for newbies like me to find it's way through it. So I wanted to know how can I import a 3d model and add it in the scene. I know there is a Physx plugins for 3ds max, maya etc. Say I have a model exported with this plugin, how can I import it in my app and add it to the scene?

3) During the creation of the scene
sceneDesc.gravity = PxVec3(0.0f, -9.81f, 0.0f);
, what value should I provide to get a real gravity, the one we have on earth Posted Image

4) I can assign a mass to an actor, however I don't know in which measurement unit the mass is. For example, if I set aSphereActor->setMass(1); will aSphereActor will be 1kg, gram or what?

For now that's it. I'll ask again if I'll need more info Posted Image

Thank you very much everyone. I appreciate your help.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS