• Create Account

Cross platform portability?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 rheiser   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 October 2001 - 07:01 AM

A question about OpenGL and porting between platforms... I have some existing code that uses X specific data structures (e.g., GLXDrawable). I want to port this code to Macintosh, which doesn''t use the X data structures, but uses some similar ones (e.g., AGLDrawable). Is conditional compilation the general solution for this type of thing? Or is there a better solution within the OpenGL framework? Thanks. rheiser

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 09 October 2001 - 09:03 AM

There is stil GLUT, but that''s not always a good solution.
I would include everything system specific in a seperate source file, divided by ifdef''s, and with a standard API. Don''t put multi-platform conditional compilation commands in your general code - that''s going to be #ifdef hell. But if you isolate everything, then this is IMO the best way to do it.

- Alex

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS