• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Sports Management Game - Where to begin?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 UK Wrestling   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm researching the feasibility of us producing a wrestling promotion game in a similar (albeit low budget) style to Championship/Football Manager.

Having spent a few weeks online looking at forums like this, I am probably more confused than I was to begin with :(

I was expecting this to be a databased driven game with lots of statistics, attributes photos and a financial element.

It would then need some kind of match engine to throw all the variables together to come up with the repercussions of all the deicsions which are made.

What would be the options in terms of the best language to work on such a project based on my very limited description.

Any help suggestions or insults would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsor:

#2 PeterF   Members   -  Reputation: 620

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm sorry to say you're not going to get a conclusive answer wherever you look. For example, I will suggest Python, primarily based on the fact that it's relatively easy to learn the basics of and from what I see in your post, nobody on your team has much (if any) programming experience. Others will suggest otherwise and there will just be a discussion about what language is best and why, even though it's largely opinionated.
Anyway, Python, like I said, is pretty user-friendly (in my opinion), but can limit your capacity to expand and develop complicated GUI's or work with graphics (it's still possible, but Python isn't exactly designed to do all that). If you're simply displaying photos, calculating results based on algorithms and displaying them in a primarily text-based interface (you can fancy it up beyond ASCII), then Python is probably a safe bet.
Good luck with your project!

#3 DavitosanX   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

How about creating a "Fighter" class, with all the attributes, something like:

class Fighter {

string realName;
string stageName;

int salary;

int age;
int weight;

bool troubleWithTheLaw;
bool goingCrazy;

public:

// All the get and set methods.

};

And you can store the info in an Fighter[totalFighters] array, or to a file.

Take into account that I'm a newbie myself.

Starting out in game programming? Me too! Check out my blog, written by a newbie, for the newbies. http://myowngamejourney.blogspot.mx/

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6323

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

The options are pretty much endless, any language will work, Python is a good choice, if you go web based then python+django is really easy to work with.
For desktop apps you could look at C#, Python or Java. (as these games tend to require fairly heavy user interfaces C# might be the best option there)
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS