• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

how to use pix to debug hlsl?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

So finally I'm trying to understand better the HLSL, so I would like to debug it or at least try to understand the behavior of each command.

I fired up pix took a snapshot and the amount of information is just staggering and I can't put 2 +2 together here. Help please.

Sponsor:

#2 Dunge   Members   -  Reputation: 405

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

I'm no expert, but I fiddled with it. As you can see you took a snapshot of a single frame, and you can see the timeline of all DirectX calls and more importantly draw calls. If you go to the bottom of the list, at the last draw call, you can see the final scene preview on the right. Right click on a pixel on the backbuffer there and select "debug this pixel", it will enter a line-per-line debugger of your hlsl shader with the values for this pixel.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS