• Create Account

What's the best way to do "swappable geometry"?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Narf the Mouse   Members   -  Reputation: 318

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Looking for information on swapping/changing mesh geometry for scrolling terrain. The method(s) have to work in DirectX 9+.

Thanks.

Edited by Narf the Mouse, 09 July 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Funkymunky   Members   -  Reputation: 685

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Are you talking about paging terrain data? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "for scrolling terrain." Do you mean what's the best way to page in terrain geometry for a terrain that the camera is moving over?

If you are, then check out this page for papers. I think in particular you would be interested in "Chunked LOD".

#3 Narf the Mouse   Members   -  Reputation: 318

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Are you talking about paging terrain data? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "for scrolling terrain." Do you mean what's the best way to page in terrain geometry for a terrain that the camera is moving over?

If you are, then check out this page for papers. I think in particular you would be interested in "Chunked LOD".

Not quite sure what you mean by "paging", but that sounds like what I'm looking for.

#4 Funkymunky   Members   -  Reputation: 685

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Paging just refers to the way that you stream in "pages" of data. Basically you want to have a background thread that monitors the location / velocity of the camera, and fetches data from the disc that the user will need according to the camera movement. If you want to see an open source example, OGRE has a Paging Landscape Scene Manager which is quite nice.

#5 Narf the Mouse   Members   -  Reputation: 318

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Paging just refers to the way that you stream in "pages" of data. Basically you want to have a background thread that monitors the location / velocity of the camera, and fetches data from the disc that the user will need according to the camera movement. If you want to see an open source example, OGRE has a Paging Landscape Scene Manager which is quite nice.

Ah; I checked Wikipedia, but that definition seemed too specific.

I've got the Chunked LOD .pdf open in my to-do.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS