• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Should accounts be PhP or what?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 glhf   Banned   -  Reputation: -585

0Likes

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

I seen in games that sometimes they make you have to go to their website to create account... and some games have it so you can do it in the game.

Do you have to know php and mysql or how do you make accounts for games that players can create?

i mean where do you store it?
you make a field in they type password etc and send it to server and we store it in encrypted document or something?

Do we need anything to do with php/mysql? maybe this isnt that hard really?

why do some games make it on website?

Edited by glhf, 11 July 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5692

3Likes

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

why do some games make it on website?

Either because that's how the game developers want the user experience to be, or because that's what they find easiest to implement with their particular skill set.

To have accounts, you need some way of storing account information persistently. This could be files on disk, if you make sure that there won't be any race conditions or data loss and resilience to crashing. Or it can be a SQL database, that does some of that for you. Or it can be a Redis, or Riak, or MS Access, or punch cards, or any other persistent medium you are comfortable in using and administering, and that you believe will fulfill your performance needs.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#3 Firestryke31   Members   -  Reputation: 350

1Likes

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

I personally am going to have it set up so that users create accounts on my forum, then my game's server software reads the user info from the forum's database. If I set it up right, it offers the benefit that I can whip up a plugin for my forum to display game stats in the user's profile, such as win/loss ratios, matches played, etc. Because the forum uses a SQL database, most of the data access stuff has been done for me, and all I have to do is make sure my server plays nicely with MyBB.

Using a web page to create accounts is pretty easy if you get a solution that does most of the work for you. Since many game sites have forums for users to discuss the game, it makes sense to use the forum to handle user accounts.

#4 TMKCodes   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Basically it does not really matter where the user registers their account. It can be in the game or on the website, but the user account data must be accessible to the game server and the website and usually some form of the SQL databases is used to do this.

Myself I prefer to make registration/authentication system for both the website and game, but still use single account system. Just that if the account has been registered either on the website or the game it can not be re-registered in either of them.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS