• Create Account

Drawing Sprites using SpriteBatch

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 riuthamus   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5789

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

What is the best way to draw sprites on the screen for a UI? We are currently using sprite batch from SlimDX and are having FPS issues when the inventory for our system is called. Thousands of UI's are far more complex than ours and I just dont understand how they take little to no FPS hit while we take 20 - 30 fps hit for drawing a few objects.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Maybe I am missing something obvious... which sucks but yeah, thanks again.

Edited by riuthamus, 12 July 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8001

1Likes

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

take 20 - 30 fps hit

Measurement in fps is worthless (30 of1000 <> 30 of 50), what is the real time in ms ?

I still use immediate opengl to draw my gui with a few hundred icons, it has a performance impact and I will get rid of it in the future, but in my case when the inventory is open, you don't need to keep up high fps.

Edited by Ashaman73, 12 July 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#3 riuthamus   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5789

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

take 20 - 30 fps hit

Measurement in fps is worthless (30 of1000 <> 30 of 50), what is the real time in ms ?

I still use immediate opengl to draw my gui with a few hundred icons, it has a performance impact and I will get rid of it in the future, but in my case when the inventory is open, you don't need to keep up high fps.

wouldnt that be an issue with running a directx setup though? we have nothing to manage openGL at this point... you make a good point that it doesnt matter so long as the players ability to work with the UI is not hindered.

#4 JWBaker   Members   -  Reputation: 235

1Likes

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

What is the best way to draw sprites on the screen for a UI? We are currently using sprite batch from SlimDX and are having FPS issues when the inventory for our system is called. Thousands of UI's are far more complex than ours and I just dont understand how they take little to no FPS hit while we take 20 - 30 fps hit for drawing a few objects.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Maybe I am missing something obvious... which sucks but yeah, thanks again.

Unless you have an enormous ammount GUI stuff i cant see a reason that using sprite would slow you down. I do all my drawing with primitives and zero batching and can handle quite a few sprites. I think you might have some other issue. Is is really text heavy? Might need more information on your process of drawing the GUI. What sort of FPS are you actually seeing? below 30?

Edited by JWBaker, 13 July 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#5 riuthamus   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5789

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

No, our stuff runs at 150 - 310, depending if your running around or standing still, near water, or other common FPS spikes. Once you open the UI the FPS drops from 150 to 120, close it and it goes back. There is no real delay that a person would see in MS as with the responsivness of the UI but.... that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. we go from 1.2 ms to 2.3 when the UI is open and then 2.3 to 1.2 when closed. More or less we are trying to be cautionary at this point so that we dont get down the road and realize we have a serious issue with the UI. Thanks, ill get telanor in here to explain it a bit better and give you some solid examples.

Edited by riuthamus, 16 July 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS